Thursday, May 7, 2015

A few words on personal gaming habits

My own personal gaming practice is scenario-based and by my lonesome (as in I've played more games by myself than with others, and I tend to be more satisfied by those, but that's all down to a personality, I think [more storyteller than player, in a way]), but when I do play with other people, I try to mix it up the fanboy thing (using characters I like) with weird strategic conditional planning (where I think the chess varsity player in me rears its ugly head, haha). I'd actually say that that's actually "meta" gaming already, but the term is used more as shorthand about fig and resources abuse than strategic use (people also tend to limit "meta" to specific figs abused in tourneys).

Funny, though, how I tend to be more strategic and cerebral and more considered when playing with others than when playing by myself - I suppose it's logical in the sense that when I play by myself I only have myself to contest with, and I know how I strategise, so I just tend to not strategise as much, or at least nothing too technical.

With regards to my solo scenario-based games, with the JLTW figs and now with AvAs, I might run an Incursion campaign by myself soon, then old school SECRET WARS (been looking for the Golden Age Molecule Man for months for this, to no avail) with Doctor Doom as end boss using colossal Doc Manhattan's dial. And there's also my ongoing Kree Invasion campaign that I stopped months ago! With a new Marvel set, it's probably time to continue that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment